Friday, December 19, 2008

Advice to Sufferers

"We also, before the temptation comes, think we can walk upon the sea, but when the winds blow, we feel ourselves begin to sink... And yet doth it yield no good unto us? We could not live without such turnings of the hand of God upon us. We should be overgrown with flesh, if we had not our seasonable winters. It is said that in some countries trees will grow but will bear no fruit, because there is no winter there.

It is not what enemies will, nor what they are resolved upon, but what God will, and what God appoints that shall be done....And as no enemy can bring suffering upon a man when the will of God is otherwise, so no man can save himself out of their hands when God will deliver him up for his glory...We shall or shall not suffer, even as it pleaseth him...God has appointed who shall suffer. Suffering comes not by chance or by the will of man, but by the will and appointment of God...God has appointed not only who will suffer but also when, where, in what way, and for what truth they shall suffer."

John Bunyan
Seasonable Counsel: or Advice to Sufferers

2 comments:

Clara....in TN said...

Hi Paula, say an extra prayer for me ...I just got a phone call...my son fell from a ladder and broke his leg. He is in the ER right now and I can't leave my husband. My son will be admitted and have surgery in the morning. I talked to him on the phone and he said, "Mom, don't worry, it could be worse...I guess you have two to wait on now." He lives with us and runs his security business from our house. No wife, no children.....just me! Telling me not to worry is like telling me not to breathe.

WhiteStone said...

Such an excellent quote. Sometimes it seems, when reading such writers, that today's culture is so shallow, living in that fantasy that we are in control of all that happens to us and believing that if we believe hard enough (in whatever) that Only Good will be ours. How sad that we are not teaching our children that life is difficult and hard and full of trials and troubles. And in the midst of all that, there is the assurance that we are safely held in the Father's hands. Bless you. My heart goes out to Clara, too, right now.