Monday, January 18, 2010

Finding Patience....

Patience. Just reading the word makes chills run up and down my spine. Why is that? Because, if you read your Bible, you know what brings patience into a Christian's life. Yes, that's right....trials.


James 1:3

Knowing this, that the trying
of your faith worketh patience.


Trials are not really what I'm looking for, but patience, yes. There are so many opportunities to work on patience, because there are so many trials to endure. There are so many opportunities each day to see if what I believe about God, about my relationship with Christ, is true.

I'm not talking about the belief that God wants us to have a happy, carefree existence. I'm talking about the belief that God, my Father, wants what is best for me. And, though I don't always like it, that may mean that some very difficult things are ahead of me.

I believe that patience and faith go hand in hand. No, what we experience is NOT easy. What we do day in and day out is hard. And, the fact that there are few of us who really understand, makes it more difficult. Not knowing when it will end, and wanting it to, only to realize that for that to happen, my loved one must pass from this life into eternity is heart breaking.

Patience reveals to ourselves and to others what we truly believe about our Father in Heaven. He is faithful, He is trustworthy, He is all seeing, all knowing, and everywhere all at the same time, He is love, He is just, He is our very life.

That is not to say it is wrong to make our life as good as we can. Do what you can to make this caregiving life easier. If you can change things for the better, do it. But, when you can't. When you have done all you can. Find patience.

Know that God is working in our lives. He is allowing these very real, very, very difficult things for our good. (Romans 8:28) He is developing our character, our faith in Him, He is maturing us....and just maybe He is using us as an imperfect witness to His perfection.

No comments: